Yes, it’s true, watermelon is considered natures “Viagra”… WHAT?
It is a vasodilator which means it dilates the blood vessels improving circulation…including a man’s ability to stand erect! Hard to believe, but true…
But, on a more serious note, just like the name says, it is a great source of WATER! In fact, since watermelon is over 90% water, it is a great “water-content” food to help you stay hydrated on hot days…plus it tastes like candy. But that’s not all, watermelon contains many nutritional benefits, such as:
- Lycopene antioxidant which gives the melon color and its anti-oxidant powers may play a role in reducing the risk of stroke, cancer activity, and tumor growth
- I-citruline amino acid in both the flesh and rind that may reduce muscle aches and pains, improve heart health, and immune system
- Electrolytes to balance hydration and avoid dehydration on hot days
- Chlorophyll in the rind (completely edible) for building blood
- Zinc, iron, protein, and fiber are valuable nutrients offered by black watermelon seed, which you can eat
- Lycopene, cucurbitacin E,and tripterpenoid; anti-inflammatory antioxidants
- And, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin C, folate, phosphorus, vitamin B6, selenium, choline, calcium, bentaine, and magnesium may also be found in watermelon
- Vitamin A to support healthy hair, skin, and other bodily tissues
So don’t miss out this summer. Pick a watermelon that shows a pale spot on one side, which demonstrates it ripened on the ground and feels heavy like it full of lots of good watermelon juice!
Hey, did you know that watermelon is both a fruit and a vegetable? It is related to cucumbers, squash, and pumpkins!
Words of caution:
- Do not overeat watermelon, it is high in sugar (calories, blood sugar, blood pressure issues)
- Eat it alone, without other foods to prevent tummy upset
On a positive note:
- Serve as a desert
- Gluten free
- Blend the seeds, rind, flesh, and meat with fresh lime and a few ice cubes in the blender to make a wonderful, refreshing drink
- Add cubes of watermelon to your salad with mint sprigs and goat or mozzarella cheese